Monday, June 21, 2010

TASTY SPIN on NUT BUTTERS

Recently, I was at the Sunday afternoon Ballard Farmer's Market enjoying all the colors of the fresh flowers and vegetables when I stumbled upon Marilyn's Nut Butters.  Marilyn has a great idea.  She adds spices to nut butter.  They are yummy!  She uses really good spices for foods cooked for folks living in cold, damp environments--like summers in Seattle!

Although I really like Marilyn's basic idea, I could not help but notice that in a couple of her nut butters, she adds sugar which throws off the carbohydrate to carbohydrate protein ratio.  (Join me on July 14th at the Greenwood Senior Center for a session on how to read labels and I will explain the importance of those ratios.)

Meanwhile, check out Marilyn's website (www.marilynsnutbutters.com/) and visit her at the Ballard Farmer's Market.  You may even want to experiment with your own favorite spices by adding them to a couple of tablespoons of nut butter.  They taste delicious as a snack on apples, carrots or just spoons.